Selvol™ Ultalux SC Product Information
Advanced Hydration in Personal Care Formulations
Selvol™ Ultalux SC PVOH copolymer (INCI: VP/Vinyl Alcohol Copolymer) is a unique film former and adhesion promoter applicable in skin care, hair care and color cosmetics.
Selvol™ Ultalux SC provides a balance of film-forming performance and adhesion functionality with improved hydration for use in masks and peels, anti-aging creams and lotions, pore strips and scar treatment formulations. Selvol™ Ultalux SC is tested for high quality and purity and is verified as non-irritating on skin. The improved hydration makes it ideal for use in moisturizers, multipurpose creams and moisturizing masks.
Selvol™ Ultalux SC Functions
- Adhesion promoter
- Film former
- Viscosity enhancement/control
Applications of Selvol™ Ultalux SC in Personal Care Formulations
This polyvinyl alcohol copolymer can be used in cosmetics such as brow makeup, eye liners, eye shadow, and mascara; in hair care formulations for ethnic hair care/weaves, hair styling gels, and shampoos/conditioners; and in anti-aging products, body washes, facial masks and peels, pore strips, and scar treatment.
Selvol™ Ultalux SC Properties
||Tensile Strength, psi3
||Elongation at Break, %
||Adhesion to Glass, g
|Selvol™ Ultalux SC
||1,400 – 1,600
||5.5 – 7.0
||1,500 – 2,500
||3,250 – 4,250
||110 – 150
1. Viscosity of a 15% solution, 20°C
2. 4% Aqueous Solution
3. Tensile properties and adhesion were measured on films containing 12% PVOH and 3% glycerin after casting and drying in a controlled temperature and humidity room for 24 hours
Improved Hydration in Facial Mask Formulations
Selvol™ Ultalux SC, when compared to typical PVOH-based facial masks, imparts effective skin adhesion with flexible film-forming characteristics, exhibiting improved hydration.
Moisturizing Face Mask Formulation
(Area A/Area B)
|Selvol™ Ultalux SC Face Mask
|Typical PVOH Face Mask
|Selvol™ Ultalux SC
1. In mixing vessel with high speed mixer, add 15% Selvol™ Ultalux SC Solution
2. Add in Ethanol, Glycerin, PEG 400, Polysorbate-20, Preservatives, Fragrances and Extracts, with blending
3. Allow solution to de-aerate so that it is free of bubbles