Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol is the most widely used textile warp sizing composition. Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol provides a protective coating for spun and filament yarn and can easily be desized with hot water.
Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol’s use in textile warp sizing applications is complemented by our Selvol™ Ultalux technology, which is designed to help maintain colorfastness and crockfastness on a wide variety of fabrics and garments. Use of Selvol™ Ultalux can help improve crocking ratings by 1 full point or more and help to ensure that your garments meet the high expectations of today’s consumers.
Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol improves warp sizing performance through:
- Improved weavability: the abrasion resistance, elasticity and toughness of yarn sized with polyvinyl alcohol will lead to reductions in warp stop levels.
- Lowering add-on: Yarns sized with polyvinyl alcohol can run at lower adds-ons because of the adhesion and strength advantages that Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol and Selvol™ Ultalux provide over natural binders.
- Decreasing shed: The excellent abrasion resistance and adhesion of polyvinyl alcohol to synthetic fibers will lead to less shedding on the slasher and in the weave room.
- Offers excellent size stability: Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol and Selvol™ Ultalux solutions are thermally stable and can be maintained for longer periods of time at elevated temperatures.
Recipe for Success
Select the Right PVOH Grade to Get the Most Benefits from Your Process and Final Product
- Super hydrolyzed grades have the higher water resistance, however this can result in potential desize problems. These grades are generally not recommended for warp sizing.
- Partially hydrolyzed grades provide superior adhesion to polyester and other synthetic fibers. These grades generally lead to optimum weavability and desizability.
Most Common Grades Used for Warp Sizing:
- Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol 325: Used with starch for preparing fabrics containing 100% cotton yarns. Preferred product for ground and pile warps and toweling.
- Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol 425: Balance of properties between fully and partially hydrolyzed grades. Improved adhesion to polyester and other synthetic fibers versus Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol 325
- Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol 418: Stronger than CMC and acrylic binders, with outstanding adhesion to both natural and synthetic fibers. Easily removed with hot water in the desize process.
- Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol 523: Good adhesion to polyester and other synthetic fibers. Provides best weaving and desizing performance. However should add a defoamer.
- Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol grades WS-724 (fully hydrolyzed) and WS-53NF (partially hydrolyzed) have been created specifically for textile sizing application.
Related Technical Brochure
Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol textile_warp_sizing