Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol as a temporary binder and viscosity modifier in ceramic formulations delivers powerful results. Polyviny alcohol is one of the most commonly used binders in the world for certain processing sequences such as spray drying followed by dry pressing, and Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol offers the latest technology to achieve desired results.
Recipe for Success
To realize the benefits of using Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol in the production of high-quality ceramics, it must be properly prepared before use. Our simple, five-step cooking procedure (Solution Preparation) will ensure proper dissolution and thus optimal performance.
For customers whose equipment is limited, Ready-to-Use Solutions are available.
Advantages of Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol as a temporary binder for ceramic processing include:
- the water soluble nature of the binder
- the wide range of available grades
- easy plasticization
- compatibility with many lubricants
- high green strength
- easy burnout (the product breaks down almost entirely into water and carbon dioxide)
- sulfur-free composition
- the ability to be readily ball-milled without degradation
- the ability to be readily reprocessed, which minimizes waste of reworking
- the ability to create extremely stable solutions with the product
Ready to Use Coating Available
For customers who are looking for “ready-to-use” binders, Sekisui Specialty Chemicals offers Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol solutions. A Selvol™ Polyvinyl Alcohol solution eliminates the dissolution step and offers a number of advantages including a ready-to-use binder, improved solution consistency and lower energy and processing costs (no cook required)